Are other file formats accepted?
We only accept STL files.
How many projects can I submit?
You can have 1 project in the queue at any time. After it is paid for and picked up, you may submit again.
Is there a limit to the number of prints?
- Only 1 print will be made of each file
- The same file may be submitted, in separate submissions, up to 5 times
- If you submit more than 2 files per month, others will have priority
- There is no “lifetime limit” to submitting unique files
Can I have anything printed?
Before submitting, please read the library’s Board-approved policy about lawful and appropriate use.
Can I use the 3D printer myself?
At this time, only trained RRPL staff or other designated people can use the 3D printer.
What software does the library use?
We use Cura for our slicing software (which translates the STL file into something the printer can print).
Where do I pick up my project?
All projects can be picked up in the Computer Lab.
Can someone pick up my project for me?
The person who submitted the project must pick it up, and bring their library card and/or valid ID. One exception is for parents of minors, who may pick up the project for their child.
How do I pay for my project?
After printing, RRPL staff will weigh it and add a bill to your library account. You can pay this bill online, in-person at the circulation desk with cash or credit card, or in the Computer Lab with credit card only.
Anything else I need to know?
Yes – staff will evaluate the project upon submission to make sure it follows our policy, has no obvious indications that it will fail during printing, and discuss other printing components as needed. Staff is unable to troubleshoot problematic files or give instruction or advice on creating files.
Where can I learn more about 3D printing?
RRPL offers classes through our Training Department, and online learning resources such as LinkedIn Learning for Libraries, which offer instruction on creating and customizing files for 3D printing. Our reference staff in Adult or Children’s is happy to assist you in finding additional resources.
Ready To Submit a 3D Printing Project?
- Email your STL file to or contact RRPL to arrange for a file transfer
- Include your library card number and color preference
- Our staff will evaluate the project and contact you within 3 days with a cost estimate and expected completion date
- After you approve the cost, we will schedule your project for printing
- Pay for and pick up the final 3D-printed project within 7 days of completion