Tips for Applying for a U.S. Passport
Use black ink to fill out forms.
Proof of citizenship is required. Original or certified copy of a birth certificate or naturalization papers or previous U.S. passport.
Photo Identification and a photocopy of the exact same identification (e.g. Driver’s License)
One current color photo is 2″ x 2”. The Library can take passport photos at a cost of $15.00.
Previous expired passport, if applicable. If an old passport is lost, the applicant must fill out form DS64.
Passport application fees ($130.00 for a passport book, $30.00 for passport card, $60.00 optional expedite fee)
Payment to the U.S. Department of State must be in one of the following forms:
› Personal, cashier’s, traveler’s, treasury, certified or money order checks.
› NO cash, credit cards, or starter checks will be accepted.
Payment to Rocky River Public Library ($35.00 for passport application fee, $15.00 for passport photo) can be made by check, cash, or money order. Starter checks will not be accepted. A $25.00 fee will be charged if a check is returned for insufficient funds.
DO NOT SIGN your application ahead of time, as it must be signed in the presence of an Acceptance Agent.
Minors under age 16:
Both parents must appear with the minor. However, there are some exceptions. (Please ask the passport agent for details). The following are required:
- Proof of citizenship and parental relationship by submitting an original or certified copy of birth certificate;
- Photo identification of both parents;
- One passport photo;
- Previous passport (if applicable);
- Minor passport application fees ($100.00 passport book, $15.00 passport card)
Minors 16 and older:
Minors are able to apply without parents present if able to submit sufficient photo ID and evidence of parental awareness (e.g. check with parents’ names). The following must be submitted:
- Proof of Citizenship: original or certified copy of a birth certificate or previous passport;
- Photo ID; (If temporary driver’s license, additional ID is necessary or one parent must be present and present his or her ID. If a minor has no ID, one parent must accompany the minor and present his or her ID.)
- One passport photo;
- Passport application fees ($130.00 passport book, $30.00 passport card).